A number of weather warnings have been issued by the Met Office and Environment Agency re: gales and heavy rain.
Here are some tips and advice from Alan Boswell Group’s claims experts to help you when preparing for bad weather:
- Secure or store away outside items like garden furniture which could get swept up by the winds and cause damage.
- Make sure your roof gutters and drains are clear of leaves and any blockages so excessive rain can drain away.
- Close and securely fasten doors and windows.
- Park vehicles in a garage if possible or keep vehicles clear of trees and buildings.
- Use a barrier such as a sandbag to help prevent water entering your home. Under extreme flooding water can enter via drains, toilets, air-bricks and ventilation openings, so keep an eye on these.
- Move all valuables, electrical equipment and furniture upstairs or buy extra-large sealable bags to protect items.
- Make sure you know where to turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies.
- Ensure tall structures such as chimneys, TV aerials and tall trees are structurally sound.
- Ensure you have bottles of drinking water in case the water supply becomes contaminated.
- Make a list of useful phone numbers you may need.
- Monitor weather warnings on the television, radio or internet.
- Ensure you have candles or a wind up torch.
- Avoid driving if possible. If you have to travel check the latest travel and weather updates ahead of your journey.
- Follow the advice of emergency services if they tell you to evacuate your home. They will take you to an evacuation centre and provide food and bedding.
Useful Contact Details
Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers Claims Team: 01603 email@example.com
In an emergency outside of our opening hours, please refer to your policy wording and contact the insurer directly. If you do not have your documents to hand (but know the insurer) visit www.abi.org.uk/About/ABI-members for a full list of insurer contacts and information.