We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 218000
Business Commercial Insurance Business Insurance Employers’ Liability Insurance

Employers’ liability insurance is one of few compulsory insurances. Companies that employ one or more members of staff, whether paid or volunteers, require this cover.

Employers’ liability policies cover claims made against your company in the event of accident, injury or illness sustained by your staff at work or as a result of work.

  • Cover for employees
  • Cover for volunteers and work experience/interns
  • Cover for family members

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

ABG Difference

Alan Boswell Group is one of the UK’s top independent insurance brokers and can offer your company impartial advice about the types of insurance your business needs and the appropriate levels of cover you should consider. Employers’ liability is a fundamental part of protecting your business and we will work with you to ensure this and all other relevant business risks are covered while providing a competitive service.

How our customers rate us

Very attentive service. Knowledgeable, friendly, efficient brokers.

Mr Moore - Combined Liability insurance

Key points

After purchasing an Employers’ Liability policy, your Certificate of Employers’ Liability Insurance must be displayed in a prominent position within each of your business premises. Alternatively, the certificate can be made available to employees in an electronic format. Please note that failure to display or produce the current certificate to either the Health & Safety Executive or Local Authority may result in your prosecution and a fine being imposed.  There is no longer a legal requirement to retain old certificates, however we do recommend that you maintain a record of your Employers’ Liability history for reference purposes.     

Following purchase of your Employers Liability policy you will be required to provide your ERN (Employer Reference Number) to your insurance provider in order to log you insurance details with the Employers Liability Trading Office database in order to make it easier for an employee to make a claim if required in the future.

If you are employing people and don’t take out employers’ liability insurance you could face a considerable fine for every day that you don’t have cover in place.


  • £5,000,000 is the minimum legal requirement, although most policies will cover you for £10,000,000.

  • The Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 requires all employers to have employers’ liability cover. There are some exemptions, such as publicly funded organisations, nationalised industries and certain family/individually owned businesses. Our experts will be able to advise you on the cover you require.

  • Employers’ liability insurance covers everyone who is defined as an “employee” under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969. This definition is wider than you would normally define “employee” as it will include work experience/interns and volunteers.

  • The following examples are scenarios that would be covered:

    Scenario one: Employee who operates machinery injures themselves because incorrect protective clothing was issued.

    Scenario two: Employee whose job involves heavy lifting hurts themselves because they have not received manual handling training.

    Scenario three: Employee trips over some carpet that had come loose and breaks their arm. The employer knew about the carpet but it was not repaired.

  • Yes, no matter how long you employ staff for you must have employers’ liability insurance.

  • This varies according to the terms of their contract. If they are “labour-only” employees then you need employers’ liability insurance because they are working under your instruction, using your tools and materials. If they are “bonafide” and work under their own direction, using their own tools and materials, they should not need employers’ liability insurance.  

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 218000
Request a callback Request a callback
Request a callback
Request a callback
Request a callback
  • Contact Details

  • If applicable
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry
Business Insurance Enquiry
Business Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
James Monkhouse
James Monkhouse

Associate Director

James has worked within insurance broking since 1999. He has worked for a variety of intermediaries, developing his skills, before joining Alan Boswell Group in…

Justin Hiller
Justin Hiller

Account Executive

Justin left school and joined Royal Insurance, Hertford in 1988. Following their merger with Sun Alliance in 1995, he reached the position of Broker Business…

Wendy Burgess

Business Manager

Wendy began her career working with specialist professional and financial insurance before moving to Alan Boswell Group in 2004, originally as an account handler in…