We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 216399
Landlords Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord Building Insurance

Get a quote online or call to speak to one of our insurance experts.

Start Your Quote
  • Add Rent Guarantee
  • Add Contents Insurance
  • Add Legal Expense and more
  • Add Rent Guarantee
  • Add Contents Insurance
  • Add Legal Expense and more
Feefo platinum award 2021

Landlord building insurance covers against events such as flooding, subsidence and fires. If you’re renting out a furnished property, it’s worth considering adding a contents insurance policy if you provide furniture for your tenants.

Compare quotes online or give us a call and one of our property insurance specialists will search the market to find the best level of cover for you.

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

landlord building insurance

Alan Boswell Group is one of the country’s leading suppliers of  landlord building insurance. Having worked with landlords for more than 20 years, we understand the buy-to-let sector and the challenges landlords face. Our experience and credibility within the industry means that we have been able to develop unique propositions, harnessing our buying power and expertise. It’s from this standing that we are able to deliver first-class independent advice, tailoring insurance products to your individual circumstances.

Our landlord advice hub is full of useful information to help landlords and property owners find the advice and products needed.

How our customers rate us

Helpful, supportive, knowledgeable and no hard sell.

Mrs Dunn - Landlord Insurance

Landlord building insurance cost

How much does landlord building insurance cost?

You could pay as little as £99 for landlords building insurance. The precise cost will depend on a number of factors including the type of construction and size of the property, but last year 10% of our customers paid £99 or less (Jan 20 – Dec 20).

Get a quote

Landlord buildings insurance in detail

Landlord building insurance policies contain a range of covers, including:

  • Buildings Cover for rebuild or repair of your building following an event e.g. flood or fire.
  • Loss of rent Loss of rent cover following your rental property becoming uninhabitable after a claim OR alternative accommodation costs for your tenants due to your property becoming uninhabitable after a claim e.g. flood, fire etc.
  • Property owners' liability Protection against legal liability for personal injury or property damage suffered by third parties at your rental property.
  • Employers' liability Employers' liability cover for cleaners, gardeners, caretakers and persons doing minor maintenance and repairs.
  • Unoccupied property cover Full cover for up to 90 days unoccupancy between tenancies.
  • Malicious damage by tenants Full cover for malicious damage caused by your tenants to your property.

When comparing policies, make sure you compare on a like-for-like basis. Many companies claiming to offer cheap insurance will do so by limiting cover and increasing excesses.

Most insurance policies will have terms and conditions requiring you to have an Assured Short Term Tenancy Agreement (AST) in place, regardless of whether you are letting to your friends, family or strangers.

If you have five properties or more you will need specialist landlord insurance for multiple properties.


  • The price of your landlord building insurance is affected by a variety of factors. As an independent landlord insurance broker we are not tied to any insurer, so we can find the best, high-quality cover for your needs.

  • Building insurance for buy-to-let properties covers the cost to rebuild or repair your building after an event e.g. flood or fire.

    All our building insurance policies also include at least £5,000 for your fixtures, fittings and white goods; £10,000,000 employers’ liability; accidental damage; loss of rent and £5 million property owners’ liability.

  • Yes, you can increase your excess to obtain a discount.

  • Yes, you can add and remove properties throughout the year. Our insurance experts will take the time to understand your future plans and advise on the best products to fit your situation.

  • While we recommend tenant referencing, it is not a requirement of our landlord buildings and contents insurance products. However, if you want to buy rent guarantee and landlord legal expenses alongside your landlord insurance, you will need to reference your tenants.

  • Premiums can go up and down and there are many factors that will affect this. As we are independent we are not tied to any insurance provider and will ensure you have the best value and quality products at each renewal.

  • Landlord insurance is not a legal requirement, however there are circumstances where you will be required to have it. Firstly, it maybe a prerequisite of a mortgage offer that you hold valid landlord insurance for the length of your mortgage. Secondly, if you directly employ a cleaner or handyman for your property or portfolio then you may require employers’ liability. Our insurance experts will take the time to understand your circumstances and advise you of your legal obligations.

  • Yes, students and tenants on housing benefits can be accepted on to your insurance policy.

  • Yes, conservatories are covered as they are part of the building.

  • The roof is considered part of the fabric of the building, so is covered by your building insurance.

  • No. Rising damp is not covered by any insurance policies. Read about rising damp in more detail.

Get in touch

Speak directly to a specialist
01603 216399
Get a quote Get a quote
Get a quote
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Alice Gerken

Insurance Adviser

Prior to working at Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers, Alice began her career in retail, working for an independent store in Norwich. She started out in…

Kate Truelove

Insurance Adviser

Kate has worked for Alan Boswell in the landlords and personal lines department since 2009, she began employment within the insurance industry in 2003.

Leah Mayes
Leah Granger

Insurance Adviser

Leah has worked in insurance for 10 years and joined Alan Boswell Group in 2009. She works within the Personal Lines department and specialises in…