We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 216399
Landlords Block of flats insurance

Block of flats insurance or block insurance is vital for landlords or flat management companies. Flats are designed and built in various shapes and sizes and require different insurance.

Our specialist UK property team will get you the right insurance. Having a comprehensive policy tailored to your requirements will give you peace of mind and will save time and money.

  • Specialist insurance cover
  • Competitive premiums
  • Dedicated account managers
  • Independent advice
  • In-house claims team

Talk to one of our specialists today

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

Insurance for flats

We are specialists in the property sector and understand the differing requirements. Block of flats insurance is particularly specialist and needs an expert to take the time to understand the risks and exposures. This is where we come in. Our highly skilled individuals will walk you through the process and find you the right cover at the right price.

We also have a landlord advice hub that is full of useful information to help landlords and property owners find the advice and products needed.

How our customers rate us

Easy to use - all insurances were sorted to come up on the same date. Very simple website.

Mrs Knox

Flat insurance in detail

Arranging insurance for flats is complicated and isn’t as straightforward as taking out a standard home insurance policy.

For example, as a freeholder, you are legally responsible for the property and need to take out insurance for the property (flats). However, as part of your lease, you may make the tenants responsible for ensuring the flat in addition to their own tenants’ contents insurance.

If you own the freehold on a block of flats, you will need flat insurance or block insurance. Our specialist insurance team can arrange your flat insurance policy.

Cover including:

Property insurance

  • A wide definition of buildings that can extend to include common areas, landscaping, solar panels etc
  • Malicious damage and theft by tenants
  • Accidental damage to your buildings

Business interruption

  • Loss of rent following damage
  • Alternative accommodation costs for residential units
  • Unoccupancy cover following a claim

Property owners’ liability

  • Protects your legal liabilities towards others including tenants and visitors.

Engineering damage

  • Every building has some form of engineerings within it, such as boilers, heating or air conditioning units. Cover for damage to surrounding property increased costs of working or repair investigation costs are just a few of our specific policy enhancements available to ensure you are well insured.



  • Block of flats insurance is for landlords, management companies, property owners, developers, property portfolio investors and managers that own a flat (a flat is typically on one floor and within a larger building containing a number of residences) or property that has a set of rooms forming an individual residence.

  • No, in most instances tenants would need a contents-only insurance policy.

  • Yes, we can cover more than one property and will discuss with you the best way to get cover, whether that be single policy or multiple policies.

  • It is normal practice for a Freeholder to insure the buildings but you should still take out insurance on your own flat. This would be to cover any contents (your lease may deem you responsible for covering internal walls, flooring, fixtures and fittings), your Liability and potentially Loss of Rent.

  • It is normal practice for the freeholder to insure the buildings for a block of flats but you should always check this is the case.

  • If you are a freeholder you should pay for Buildings Insurance. The cost could be offset to the leaseholders as part of the service charge or ground rent.

  • The cover required can vary dependant on your lease or the use of the apartment but as a minimum we recommend taking out Landlords Contents insurance (which may include fixtures and fittings) to cover any items you’re responsible for. This product will include Liability cover. You may wish to include cover for Loss of Rent as well which would come into effect if a tenant moves out as the result of a claim.

Get in touch

Talk to us about flat insurance
01603 216399
Get a quote Get a quote
Get a quote
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Kate Truelove

Insurance Adviser

Kate has worked for Alan Boswell in the landlords and personal lines department since 2009, she began employment within the insurance industry in 2003.

Alice Gerken

Insurance Adviser

Prior to working at Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers, Alice began her career in retail, working for an independent store in Norwich. She started out in…

Natasha Powell
Natasha Powell

Insurance Adviser

Natasha started in insurance 1998 as a ‘stand-in receptionist for a day’ and 18 years later she is still in the industry! Natasha worked in…