We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 216399
Home » Landlords » Landlord Cover » HMO Insurance

HMO insurance is very different from landlords insurance. The risks involved are significantly higher and it is essential to seek expert advice.

  • Comprehensive insurance covering additional risks of an HMO
  • Independent advice to help you understand your legal obligations for an HMO
  • Specialist insurance cover
  • Competitive premiums

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

multi-property landlord insurance

Being specialists in the property sector we understand the differing risks and legal obligations landlords face. Owning and operating an HMO bring an altogether different set or requirements to a run of the mill buy to let property. With highly skilled individuals we will guide you through the assessment of your risks and exposures when renting out an HMO.

How our customers rate us

Good value and great during a crisis

Mr Hereford

HMO Insurance in detail

Our HMO insurance covers:

  • All risks Some insurers will cover 'all risks' material loss or damage to buildings and/or contents.
  • Students and Housing Benefit tenants The ability to include occupation by students and Housing Benefit tenants at no extra charge.
  • Costs covered Cover for costs of rehousing a tenant(s) following insured damage to the property.
  • Loss of rent Loss of rent cover following insured damage to the property.
  • Property Owners' Liability Property Owners' Liability cover up to £5,000,000.
  • Employers' Liability Employers' Liability cover up to £10,000,000 for cleaners, gardeners, caretakers, and persons doing minor maintenance and repairs.
  • 90 days' full cover Up to 90 days' full cover between lets for unoccupied properties


  • There are varying definitions of an HMO (house of multiple occupancies) , but generally speaking, the standard definition is if there are 3 or more tenants at the property forming more than one household and there are shared facilities (bathroom, kitchen etc). A large HMO is defined if the property is at least 3 storeys high and at least 5 tenants forming more than 1 household with shared facilities. Find out more in our article on What is HMO insurance 

  • More and more HMOs are coming under license and each licensing authority will have their own rules, but the main legal requirements are as follows:

    • Annual gas safety checks
    • Electric checks every 5 years
    • Proper safety measures in place
    • Ensure property is not overcrowded
    • Adequate cooking and cleaning facilities
    • Property is in a good state of repair
  • Yes, in some instances we can provide cover for these circumstances.

  • Yes, we are able to cover these.

  • Yes, we can provide rent guarantee for HMOs.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Request a callback Request a callback
Request a callback
Callback Enquiry - Landlords
Callback Enquiry - Landlords
  • Contact Details

  • If applicable
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Amanda Riches

Insurance Adviser

Amanda is an insurance adviser specialising in personal lines including landlords insurance, boat, motor, home and travel.

Caroline Scott
Louise Woods

Insurance Adviser

Louise has worked in insurance since finishing her education in 2011. She started out in the motorcycle insurance industry and moved briefly into private healthcare insurance…

Kate Truelove
Kate Truelove

Insurance Adviser

Kate has worked for Alan Boswell in the landlords and personal lines department since 2009, she began employment within the insurance industry in 2003.

HMO insurance FAQ's