We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Landlords Excess Protection Insurance

Our excess protection insurance can be used by landlords and property owners, purchased in conjunction with our property owners insurance. Excess protection reimburses you for the cost of your policy excess in the event of an insurance claim, helping you to avoid unexpected expenses relating to your property.

  • Available from £20 a year.
  • Claim for up to £3,000.
  • 12 months’ cover.
  • UK-based advisers.
  • In-house claims team.

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

personal insurance

Having worked with the UK’s landlords for more than 20 years, our specialist advisors understand the many challenges you face. To help you manage those, we can provide a wide range of market-leading insurance products, backed up by excellent customer service and a dedicated in-house claims team. We also have a landlord advice hub that is full of useful information to help landlords and property owners find the advice and products needed.

We’re proud to say that our advice and service have been recognised by the industry and our customer feedback scores are proof of our consistently high standards.

How our customers rate us

Quick and efficient service. No pressure. Explained everything clearly. Great to deal with.

Miss Allen, Landlord insurance customer

Excess Protection Insurance in detail

As a property owner, it’s likely your insurance policies will have varying levels of excess.

For example, you may have to pay a standard policy excess of £250, but higher excesses may apply for escape of water, subsidence, and/or malicious damage by a tenant.

Excess protection insurance makes it easier to manage those costs, allowing you to make a further claim for the value of excess paid. It works alongside your normal property owners insurance policy and will cover the cost of your excess up to a pre-agreed limit.

  • Low cost Available for £20-£80 a year.
  • Multiple claims allowed For instance, if you choose an annual limit of £500, you could make two claims where the excess paid is £250; if you choose a £1,000 limit, you could make four claims for £250 excess per property. All values apply per property.
  • High limits available Cover limits from £300 to a £3,000 during your period of insurance.

Cover is only available where we also insure the buildings. Excess protection cover must be purchased on all properties insured under the same property portfolio. This product is not available as a standalone option.


  • When you have paid an excess following a successful claim on your property owners insurance policy – providing this was within the period of excess protection cover. There are some exclusions, which will be set out in your policy wording.

  • The value of the excess paid under your property owners policy, up to the annual limit of your cover (see above).

  • Yes. This product is designed to be used in conjunction with claims made under your property owners insurance and the addressees declared on your policy schedule.

  • Yes, but some companies refer to it with a different name. Each policy will have its own terms and conditions, depending on the insurer.

  • No, it has to be bought in conjunction with property owners insurance.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry