We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Business Business Insurance Trade and Industry Shop and Online Retail Insurance

Whether you run a bricks and mortar store on one of Britain’s high streets, operate an eBay, Amazon or other online store, or do both, you’ll need to make sure that you, your products, and your customers are protected. Retail business insurance needs to be as unique as the businesses it protects and using a broker that can take the time to understand your company and build a retail insurance package to meet your needs makes commercial sense.

  • Package and bespoke products
  • Dedicated retail team
  • Independent advice
  • Additional cover available for shows and events

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

ABG Difference

Retail insurance is a highly competitive sector of insurance with many providers promising “cheap” insurance. As with many things cheap isn’t always best and we are well versed in the retail world enabling us to provide you with excellent independent advice, first class personal service and a product tailored to your needs.

How our customers rate us

They understood my needs and guided me through the process of finding the right policy to suit my new business. The service could not have been better.

Ms Lawton - Shop Insurance

Retail Insurance in detail

Along with the usual liabilities, retail insurance will usually include but is not limited to:

  • Material damage Damage to your business contents, equipment, stock, premises etc.
  • Business interruption Loss of income cover and / or increased costs following a claim.
  • Money and book debts Cover for money on the premises and if your business records are lost or damaged we will cover the money you cannot collect up to £10,000.
  • Liabilities Cover for employees, public and products liability.
  • Fidelity Protects you against theft by employees.
  • Legal expenses Cover for legal expenses, including employment and contractual disputes.

Most retail insurances are on the basis you have set premises and do not operate from outside these. If you do it may make sense to have two policies. For example, a kitchen showroom and fitting company may have retail insurance for the shop and then liability insurance for the fitting.


  • If you have employees then you are required by law to have employers’ liability. This is an element of most retail insurance policies or can be purchased standalone.

  • Absolutely. How your insurance is constructed will depend on the types of trades you operate in and the premises. If the trades are similar and the premises are similar then it will be possible to cover your risks under one policy. If the trades are wildly different and there are unique risks to each trade then it may be better to have two separate policies.

  • Your vehicles and your motor liability will not be covered and you will require an additional policy to cover them.

  • If you drive vehicles, work on vehicles, or have vehicles under your custody and control then you will be better placed for a motor trade policy. If none of these apply then a standard retail policy should suffice.

  • As long as stated when you take out your policy and you answer the associated questions you will be covered. The level of cover depends on what activities you undertake when there.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 218000
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry
Susanne Turner
Susanne Turner

Executive Business Insurance Adviser

Susanne’s insurance career began more than a decade ago, when she started working as a sales clerk dealing with house and motor insurance. She joined…