We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Landlords Landlord Liability Insurance

Landlord liability insurance is designed to protect you from personal injury claims made by tenants, guests, visitors, or people employed to work on your property.

Without landlord liability insurance, you could be liable for damage to possessions, or worse face a personal injury claim and find yourself paying legal costs associated with the claim.

  • Our landlord liability insurance has £5m public liability cover.

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

personal insurance

With our own landlord insurance products managed in-house, we provide a unique service, with pricing, underwriting and claims primarily managed by us. We also have a landlord advice hub that is full of useful information to help landlords and property owners find the advice and products needed.

Our advice and service have been recognised by the industry and our feedback scores are proof of our consistently high standards.

How our customers rate us

Excellent personal service with a very polite helpful person who listened and did not try and force a sale. Cannot rate highly enough.

Mr Khan

Landlords Liability Insurance in detail

Landlord liability insurance from just £56 per year

  • Landlord liability insurance Covers loss or damage to material property or bodily injury (including death, illness, or disease) for which you are held responsible and proven negligent in relation to members of the public. It is ideal where you own the property on leasehold and the freeholder insures the buildings. Our landlord liability insurance is also available where landlords buildings and/or contents are purchased at the same time.
Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Enquire about landlord liability insurance Enquire about landlord liability insurance
Enquire about landlord liability insurance

Landlord liabilities FAQ's

  • Landlord liability insurance is a product that will provide cover in the event a tenant or guest is injured, or a third party is damaged, and the cause is deemed to be resulting from your negligence.

  • The cost of landlord liability insurance varies dependant on the risk, but cover can start from as little as £56.

  • Liability cover is available from £2,000,000 cover but we recommend a minimum of £5,000,000 due to the increasing and unpredictable cost of injury claims.

    The most important part of an insurance policy is the ‘property owners’ liability’ section. This will provide cover against claims for injuries or incidents where a person (this could be your tenant, a guest at the property, or even a passer-by) feels the cause of their injury is your negligence.

    The smallest crack in a pathway could cause your tenant to trip and injure themselves. If it were deemed that you were negligent in not maintaining the pathway to an acceptable standard, the tenant would have right to claim for their injuries and inconvenience.

    Claims for a broken ankle from incidents similar to the above have run into millions of pounds due to Loss of Earnings claims. We always recommend a higher level of cover due to the frequency and severity of these types of claims.


  • Being ‘liable’ means you are legally responsible for something. In the case of landlord insurance, this covers a wide range of topics from the upkeep of your building to your responsibility for the safety of your tenants. You are liable for anything you own or have a financial interest in, including:

    • The maintenance of the building and the land in stands on.
    • The electrics and plumbing at the property.
    • Any fixtures, fittings, and furnishings you provide.
    • Boiler maintenance.
    • Gas safety.
    • Smoke alarms.

    This list is not exhaustive but provides an example of the main responsibilities a landlord has. It is imperative you provide a safe environment for your tenant(s).

Landlord insurance products and optional extras

Our landlords insurance products are designed specifically with landlords in mind. As a landlord, we know you face more risks, which is why we can provide a range of additional covers:

Landlords Insurance

Flexible landlords insurance products from a market-leading broker. Compare quotes for your buildings, contents, and liability insurance for commercial or residential properties.

Read more
Landlord Contents Insurance

Our landlord contents insurance is for the properties you have left fully or part-furnished and provides cover for the furnishings, fixtures and fittings.

Read more
Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord building insurance is a vital cover for your rental property we can search the market, compare quotes, and arrange your insurance so you get the best cover available.

Read more
Multi Property Landlord Insurance

Multi-Property landlord insurance for your residential and/or commercial property portfolio.

Read more
Commercial Property Insurance

Discover the insurance options designed to protect your commercial property including buildings and liability cover.

Read more
Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance

Insurance for unoccupied commercial properties including property owners’ liability insurance.

Read more
Serviced Accommodation Insurance

We provide essential insurance with competitive premiums for landlords and property owners that run serviced accommodation properties.

Read more
Landlord Home Emergency Cover

Home emergency cover for your own or rental property in the event of a domestic emergency e.g. boiler breakdown, failure in utilities etc.

Read more
Landlord Legal Expenses Insurance

Provides cover for your rental property, including repossession of the property and other legal disputes.

Read more
Rent Guarantee Insurance

Provides insurance for non payment of rent in the event of a tenant defaulting as well as any landlord legal expenses cover of up to £100,000.

Read more

Contact us

Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Enquire about landlord liability insurance Enquire about landlord liability insurance
Enquire about landlord liability insurance
Hannah Legg

Insurance Adviser

Carina Lopes
Carina Lopes

Insurance Adviser

Amanda Riches

Insurance Adviser

Amanda is an insurance adviser specialising in personal lines including landlords insurance, boat, motor, home and travel.

Landlords news

Airbnb vs Vrbo : Which is best for your rental property?
Airbnb vs Vrbo: Which is best for your rental property?

Airbnb or Vrbo – which platform is best for your rental property? We explore the pros and cons of each, plus the insurance you will need to ensure your property is fully protected.

Read more
Guide to renting with pets
Landlord's guide to renting to tenants with pets

The proposed new legislation makes it likely that most landlords will no longer be able to refuse tenancies to pet owners. Read our landlord’s guide to private renting to tenants with pets.

Read more
Multiple property insurance
Multiple properties insurance: a brief guide

Do you have a portfolio of residential or commercial properties – or both? If so, you may be considering multi-property insurance. Our guide talks you through the different types of cover available to you.

Read more