We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Latest News Guide to Grade II listed building restrictions

Guide to Grade II listed building restrictions

Guide to Grade II listed building restrictions

Many people are attracted to the idea of living in an older property. Some appreciate the thought of owning a home with an interesting history. Others like the high ceilings that were more common in older houses. Many admire the craftsmanship and building techniques used to build traditional homes.

However, the older your property, the more likely it is to be a listed building. With listing comes a range of responsibilities and restrictions, which can sometimes be confusing to navigate. To help you, we’ve created this guide to Grade II listed building insurance and restrictions.

What is a Grade II listed building?

If a building in England is considered by the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport to be of special architectural interest, it is ‘listed’ in one of three categories:

  • Grade I buildings. These are of exceptional interest and only comprise 2.5% of all listed buildings.
  • Grade II* buildings. These are particularly important buildings of more than special interest. They make up 5.8% of listed buildings.
  • Grade II buildings. This class is for buildings of special interest that warrant every effort to preserve them. Most listed buildings fall into this category.

Each of the devolved nations have a similar system for listed buildings.

Wales uses the same three categories, and Welsh Ministers are required to compile and maintain the lists.

Scotland also has a listed building system, with properties falling into categories A, B, and C.

In Northern Ireland, a building is listed if it is of ‘special architectural or historic interest’ according to Section 80 of the Planning Act (Northern Ireland) 2011. Categories A, B+, B, B1, and B2 are used to classify listed buildings

Do I need special insurance for a listed building?

No, you don’t need special home insurance for your Grade II listed building. However, you need to tell your insurer that your property is listed as some insurers won’t provide cover for listed buildings as they can be expensive and time consuming to repair and may require the skills of specialist trades and craftsmen.

Does it cost me more to insure a Grade II listed building?

It doesn’t directly cost more to insure a Grade II listed building; the same factors will be used to determine the premium you pay as are used for a non-listed building. However, because it is usually more expensive to rebuild listed properties, the sum insured is likely to be higher, which can affect the premium you pay. Some insurers will ask to see a professional rebuilding cost survey to ensure the sum insured is adequate and takes into consideration any special features, materials used, professional fees, and other factors. This will also help you avoid the risk of being underinsured.

How do I work out the rebuild cost for my listed building?

The rebuild cost of a listed building is likely to be much higher than for a modern house; you may need specialist tradespeople and materials, it may take longer to rebuild your property, and your local authority could delay works, all of which adds to the cost. However, accurately assessing the rebuild cost of your property will directly impact the sum insured on your home insurance and, therefore, the premium you pay.

Your insurer may request a specialist survey to be undertaken, in which case they will be able to recommend who to use, and you will then receive a report which includes your property’s rebuild cost.

How old are listed buildings?

There are listed buildings of nearly all ages. In general, all buildings built before 1700 are listed as long as they are largely in their original condition. Similarly, most buildings that date from 1700 to 1850 are listed. Buildings newer than this are listed if they are considered to be of special architectural or historic interest. Buildings under 30 years old are rarely listed, mainly because they aren’t deemed to have ‘stood the test of time’. so it is  important to know how old your property is.

How do buildings get listed?

In England, buildings become listed via two main routes.

In both cases, Historic England recommends that the Secretary of State lists a building. The Minister then makes the final decision. The devolved nations also have similar systems by which buildings become listed.

What is listed building consent?

If you own a listed building, you must get listed building consent if you want to make significant changes to the property. This is because there are strict rules about the work you can undertake, especially if it affects the building’s character or appearance.

You need to apply to your local authority to get listed building consent. If your alterations also need planning permission, you must also apply for this.

What happens if I don’t get listed building consent?

If you carry out works for which you should have obtained listed building consent, you are committing a criminal offence. Not only can your local council make you reverse or change the work you have done (at your own expense), you could also be prosecuted. The maximum penalty includes imprisonment and unlimited fines.

What can you do to a Grade 2 listed building?

On the whole, minor repairs and maintenance are excluded from needing listed building consent. So, for example, if you repaint your kitchen, you probably won’t need consent.

However, if you do anything that is deemed to be a ‘material change’, you’ll need consent. This could include something as simple as repainting external doors and windows in a different colour.

Before undertaking any work, whether you think it is minor or would be deemed a ‘material change’, you should always consult your local authority first. If you plan on making changes to your property, we will need to see evidence of permission granted by your local authority before we can provide you with an insurance quotation. It is also worth bearing in mind that you should inform your insurer before doing any work as it may affect your insurance cover.

Please note that we cannot advise you on what changes you are allowed to make to your property.

What do I need listed building consent for?

There are many ‘material changes’ for which you need listed building consent. However, this list of common projects should give you an insight into what does and does not need consent.

  • Replacing windows or doors. You will need consent even if the replacements have the same design, materials, and finish. If you want to install double glazing, you’ll undoubtedly need permission, although it’s often more likely you’ll get approval for installing secondary glazing instead.
  • Painting a building’s exterior. Consent is required if the building hasn’t been painted before or if a new colour will alter its appearance or character.
  • Roof repairs / replacement. You don’t normally need consent if you use the same material for the roof covering and re-use existing tiles, slates, or pantiles wherever possible. You may need consent if you intend to change the roof timbers, structure, or alter the roof’s appearance. If your building is thatched and you intend to replace the roof with a different type of thatch, that counts as a material change, and you’ll need consent.
  • Adding a satellite dish. You will need permission to install a satellite dish on either your Grade II listed building or any building within the property’s curtilage (the land immediately surrounding it). You may also need planning permission.
  • Erecting a new building or structure within the listed building’s curtilage. You don’t normally need consent for this if it is going to be standalone, but you will need to check that the new structure won’t affect any garden features which are listed. You may also need planning permission.
  • Building an extension, porch, or conservatory. Attaching a structure to the building, or curtilage buildings, will need consent and potentially planning permission too.
  • Creating a fence, gate, or wall. You need listed building consent if any of these are attached to the main building or a curtilage building. Planning permission may be necessary too.
  • Exposing timbers or brickwork. Consent will be needed.
  • Adding solar panels or wind turbines. Listed building consent will be needed; if approved, installations must not disturb or destroy historic materials and must be reversible.

You should always seek advice from your local authority before doing any work to your listed property even if you do not feel it is a ‘material change’.

What can’t you do to a Grade II listed building?

There are many things you should not do to a listed building and which you are very unlikely to get consent for. These include:

  • Removing architectural features such as fireplaces, panelling, decorative stonework, or mullions.
  • Stone cleaning (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
  • Adding pipes, flues, or alarm boxes to the front of the property.
  • Removing boundary walls or gates.
  • Repointing using the incorrect materials. A lot of Grade II listed buildings use lime mortar, so you should never repoint using materials such as hard cement mortar.
  • Removing chimney stacks or pots.
  • Painting or rendering stonework.

Will I be insured if I make changes to my property that haven’t been approved?

No, if you make a change to your property which requires planning permission for which you have not received, your insurance will be invalidated if you come to make a claim. If you have legal permission to make a change, you should still inform your insurer before doing any work, as it could affect your cover.

Grade II listed building FAQs

Can I decorate a Grade II listed building?

Yes, to an extent. Internal painting rarely needs listed building consent unless your property has a historic decorative scheme that needs to be preserved. You should not remove any original features when you redecorate.

Can I put a new bathroom in a Grade II listed building?

Yes, but you’ll normally need consent. Seek advice from your local authority before undertaking any work.

Can I put a new kitchen in a Grade II listed building?

Yes, but you will almost certainly need consent.

Can you get a Grade II listing removed?

Yes, but it is a lengthy process. Common reasons include delisting buildings that have been destroyed or that owners believe have been wrongly listed. You can learn more about the delisting process from Historic England.

Can you get grants for Grade II listed buildings?

Yes, but they are relatively rare – the majority of grant funding goes to Grade I and Grade II* listed buildings. Historic England offers details about potential grants. Some local authorities may also provide discretionary grants.

Can you get a mortgage on a Grade II listed building?

Yes, but lenders may see listed buildings as riskier, so they may impose stricter affordability criteria or cap the loan-to-value ratio. You should inform your lender of the property’s listed status when applying.

Can you knock down walls in a Grade II listed building?

Sometimes. You should always consult your local authority first, as you may need listed building consent.


Owning and maintaining a Grade II listed building can mean grappling with a minefield of legislation, but if in doubt, you should always consult your local authority; they have experts on hand to provide you with the correct advice. If you would like advice on insurance for your listed property, contact our team at 01603 649650.

Make an enquiry for insurance

Speak directly to our team
01603 218000
Make an enquiry for insurance Make an enquiry for insurance
Make an enquiry for insurance