We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 216399
Home » Latest News » Landlords Insurance – Top 10 things to look out for

Landlords Insurance – Top 10 things to look out for

Top Tips

Comparing landlord insurance quotes can be hard work. You could put the policy documents next to each other and try to spot the differences – but what do you do if you have 20 or 30 to compare? How do you work out which one is right for you? Steve Cox, Business Account Manager at Alan Boswell Group, provides his top 10 tips to help you find the right landlord insurance for your buy-to-let property

1) Check for additional fees

Some companies hook you with a cheap premium but charge hefty admin fees if you want to make changes down the line.

While checking the small print, it’s worth looking at the payment options and charges, because a cheap premium can get expensive if you’re paying monthly.

2) Get a UK-based claims service

Insurance is a funny purchase; you buy it in the hope you never have to use it. However, the claims process is where you see the true value of your policy. A key thing to look out for is a UK-based company that runs its own call centres and has control over the quality of its service.

3) Home insurance is not the same as landlord insurance

Many landlords don’t realise they need specific insurance for their buy-to-let properties. However, home insurance is designed for owner-occupier properties, not tenanted properties. Although some home insurance products may stretch to renting out the property, they are not designed specifically for it. Make sure you seek out adequate landlord insurance and don’t leave things to chance.

4) Make sure loss-of-rent is included

If your property suffers a claim, most landlord products should include cover to provide an income while the property is uninhabitable. If your insurance policy does not include this, you could end up out of pocket as the result of a claim.

5) Ensure that malicious damage is covered

Malicious damage by a tenant is surprisingly common. When comparing policy details, look for malicious damage cover. It may be included, but it can also be an add-on, depending on the insurer. Make sure you’re clear about whether this is included before you buy a policy.

6) Check excesses to avoid surprises

Some claims occur more often than others and may have higher excesses applied as a result. Escape of water is the most common property claim and will often have a higher excess to cover these costs. There is generally a standard policy excess that applies, with specific excesses highlighted in your quotation documentation. Make sure you read them and be happy with what you’re signing.

7) Read the important conditions of the policy

All insurance products have terms and conditions attached and it is essential that these are adhered to. An example is the condition that a tenancy agreement is place. While this may seem obvious, if you’re letting to friends or family you may not put one in place. However, the failure to do so could invalidate your insurance.

8) Ensure cover for manufacture of drugs included

This provides cover in the event that a tenant damages your property through drug production. Cannabis farms, for example, can lead to the destruction of property. Failure to insure against this could destroy your investment.

9) Review unoccupancy rules

We would all love our trouble-free tenants to stay forever, but when the average length of a tenancy is under a year, the chances are you will have untenanted periods. Different insurers will cover different lengths of time. Some will give cover for up to 90 days, but others may immediately restrict cover.

10) Look at independent research

The internet is a fantastic way of researching companies and products. Check out whether the company you’re about to place your trust in has the trust of its customers and has a satisfactory claims experience. For instance, we’re proud of our outstanding, independent customer reviews, which you can read on independent review site Feefo.

If you’d like to know more about Alan Boswell Group Landlord Insurance visit www.alanboswell.com or give us a call on 01603 216399.

Related products: Landlords Insurance Landlord Cover Commercial landlord insurance Serviced Accommodation Insurance HMO Insurance Buy-to-let Insurance Block of flats insurance Protection from the elements Excess Protection Insurance Landlords – Do you need insurance? Private Sector Leasing Insurance Landlord Insurance Downloads Landlord Insurance Landlord Building Insurance Multi-property landlord insurance Tenant Referencing Rent Guarantee Insurance Landlord Legal Expenses Insurance Landlord Home Emergency Cover Property Insurance Introducer Scheme

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Get a callback
Callback Enquiry - Landlords
  • Contact Details

  • If applicable
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Make an enquiry
Landlords Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.