We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

As an owner of a classic boat, you’ll want to ensure that your cherished vessel has the best insurance possible. We recognise that whether it’s classic sailboats, classic motorboats, or classic yachts, owners understand the importance of attention to detail. Our classic boat insurance is designed with this in mind, giving you the cover that’s right for you and your boat. Your policy could include:

  • £5m in third-party liability
  •  25% discount after 5 years
  • Multi-vessel discount

Talk to us about your requirements and we will provide you with a comprehensive policy for your needs.

Boat enthusiasts

Classic boat insurance

We are specialists in providing bespoke motorboat insurance tailored to meet your precise requirements. Whether your classic boat is a Uffa Fox Harbour Master Launch, Fabian Bush Cruising Dayboat, Clinker motor launch or a New England Bass Boat we can assist you in selecting the ideal insurance policy for both you and your beloved classic boat.  Call us and we can discuss your insurance requirements.

How our customers rate us

I felt the service I received was genuine, warm, friendly and knowledgeable

Mr Wilkinson, Boat Insurance

Classic Boat Insurance in detail

Benefits of our classic boat insurance

  • Simple to buy We remove onerous survey requirements and replace it with a simple condition report, including the option to self-certify (just because a boat is 50 years old it doesn't mean it's falling to bits!). For boats over 25 years of age and 26ft or over, a self-certificate survey and 2 photos are required. We rarely need an independent condition report, but there will be the odd occasion the insurer asks for one.
  • Generous no claims bonus Protected discount can be built up over five years at up to 25% discount.
  • Multi-vessel discounts Available for two or more boats. Up to 20% discount available depending on the number of boats insured on the scheme.
  • Repair clause Policy will pay up to 125% of the hull sum insured for repairs (to recognise that older motorboats are often more expensive to repair than simply buying a replacement).
  • Fixed policy excess The amount you pay is not a percentage of the loss. No excess is payable if your motorboat is damaged whilst moored in a marina berth.
  • Reduced excess If approved repairers used.
  • Keen pricing We offer what online quote engines can't. By discussing your motorboat with us over the phone or via email, we can obtain competitive cover tailored to your requirements.

Policy details

Your insurance needs will vary depending on what you sail and where, but can include:

  • Loss or damage To the vessel, gear, and equipment.
  • Legal liability for claims made by third parties Including passengers and guests on-board, or when embarking or disembarking the vessel.
  • Transit risk Within Europe. If the boat is on a trailer and is written off you are covered (bruising, denting, and scratching is excluded).
  • Loss of gear and equipment from the exterior Cover for your boat following a forcible theft.
  • Personal accident cover and medical expenses For the owner and guests.
  • Salvage charges and liability Following a sinking of your boat this cover is for the cost of raising or the removal of wreckage.

Get in contact

Speak directly to our team
01603 649650
Make an enquiry Make an enquiry
Make an enquiry

  • Boat insurance protects your vessel, its equipment, your liability to other craft on the water, and the people on your boat.

    While it is not a legal requirement to have insurance simply if you own a boat, you will need at least third-party cover to use it on the UK’s inland waterways. Most UK harbours and marinas also insist on a minimum of third-party cover to protect all their customers.

  • To own a boat kept ashore, no licence is required. However, for inland waterways usage, registration, potential licensing, a BSS certificate, and third-party insurance (usually with a £1m limit, though the Broads Authority requires £2m) are needed.

    The BSS certificate is essential for boats with certain permanent electrical systems. Using a boat without required documentation invalidates insurance. Consult the navigation authority for specific requirements on your waterway. If sailing beyond UK waters, a registration document from the UK Ship Register is mandatory.

  • Not necessarily. While a Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) certificate is essential for registering or obtaining a licence on inland waterways, there are exceptions. For instance, privately owned ‘open boats’ without motors, such as canoes, don’t need one. Some motorboats, especially those without electrical systems, may also be exempt. It’s always best to consult the navigation authority for specifics. However, boats requiring the BSS certificate must be tested every four years, and owners should ensure they maintain the necessary standards.