We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Tenants contents insurance covers you for when you are living in rented accommodation, this usually means the building and white goods are insured by your landlord, but your possessions are not. Many rental properties will come with the caveat that tenants contents insurance is also taken out to protect any liability you have as a tenant for damage to your rental property. Tenants contents cover is designed to give you the peace of mind that your belongings are insured against damage, theft, fire, and even loss. Our contents calculator can help you estimate the value of the contents in your accommodation.

  • Cover for £5,000 worth of contents upwards
  • Simple pricing structure
  • Optional cover for electrical and portable items
  • Optional cover for money and credit cards
  • Optional cover for bicycles

Alan Boswell Difference

Tenants contents insurance

We are well placed to provide expert advice to tenants, having given advice to tenants and landlords for more than 30 years. Our tenants contents policy has been designed specifically for people who rent, covering everything from low- to high-value contents. Our policies give you the freedom to select just the cover you need, so you don’t end up paying more than you have to.

How our customers rate us

Excellent prompt service on insurance matters for both our properties.

Mr Sanders, Household Insurance

Tenants Contents Insurance in detail

Features of tenants contents insurance are as follows:

  • New for old cover New products or replacement value in the event of damage or a loss.
  • Landlords fixtures and fittings Cover for landlords fixtures and fittings in the event of damage.
  • Theft from outbuildings Theft coverage from outbuildings.
  • Accidental damage Automatic inclusion of accidental damage to computer, audio, and visual equipment.
  • Contents in garden Cover for contents within your garden.
  • Food in freezer Cover for the contents of your freezer.

Two key exclusions to household insurance policies are wear and tear and pet damage, both of which are generally excluded from all sections.


  • Yes you can, simply tell us the change of address and we will update your details.

  • If you buy a property you would need to take out separate buildings insurance. We would provide a pro-rata refund and help you take out a new policy.

  • Yes you can, there will be an applicable pro-rata increase or reduction along with any applicable admin fees.

  • No, it is not possible to earn no claims discount on this policy.

  • No, a landlord or letting agent cannot insist you take tenants contents insurance, however they can make you responsible for damages you cause to their property so it is advisable to protect yourself against damages to the landlord’s fixtures and fittings. 

  • No , tenants liability is a cover provided within most contents policies – it covers your legal liability against damage to landlords fixtures and fittings that you are responsible for as a tenant. The level of responsibility would be detailed in your tenancy agreement.

  • Contents insurance for tenants is the same as any other contents policy. It provides cover for the tenants belongings, such as clothes, furniture, electrical items, and other personal belongings. Even people who rent furnished usually have some items of their own, however, they do not always need as high a sum insured as someone who furnishes a whole house. Policies that are specifically for tenants contents often offer a lower minimum sums insured and premiums. To estimate the value of your belongings, try our contents calculator.

  • While it is not a legal requirement, it is wise to purchase contents insurance.  This will include tenants liability cover as detailed above and occupiers liability cover, which covers you against your legal liabilities to the public.  This could include if a dog escapes from the property and causes an accident – if it is found that you did not secure the property sufficiently you could be found to be negligent.  A contents policy would also provide cover for alternative accommodation following a claim which renders the property uninhabitable, such as fire or flood.

  • If your lease makes you responsible for the door then yes it would be covered.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 649650
Get a quote Get a quote
Get a quote
Send and enquiry Send and enquiry
Send and enquiry