We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Pet damage to rental properties

The Government have recently announced a new standard tenancy agreement which makes it easier for tenants with pets to find rented accommodation. The Model Tenancy Agreement means landlords can no longer issue blanket bans on pets. Instead, consent for pets will be the standard position.

To give landlords and tenants a bit more peace of mind we have teamed up with SAGIC (The Salvation Army General Insurance Corporation Limited) to offer pet damage insurance cover which can be added either a tenants or landlords insurance policy

  • Up to £5,000 cover
  • Cover for landlords fixtures and fittings damaged by pets
  • Cover provided under either landlords or tenants policy
  • Cover is for unexpected losses
  • Contents policies from £131 including pet damage

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

Alan Boswell Group - personal

As a leading independent insurance broker and one of the eastern region’s largest financial planners, our business is perfectly placed to guarantee an independent, personal, bespoke service with the clout and connections of a big player.

We aim to ease the burden that arranging insurance or financial planning can bring. We pride ourselves on our personal approach, providing a dedicated contact to review your situation and provide continuous expert advice for your business or personal needs.

Pet Damage Insurance in detail

There are two options to cover damage to a landlord’s property caused by pets.

For tenants

As part of your tenancy agreement with your landlord you will be responsible for damage caused to the property. As a conscientious tenant it is likely that you will want to ensure you have the means to pay for any damage caused by your pet.

Adding pet damage cover to your new or existing contents policy provides up to £5,000 cover for sudden, unintentional and unexpected physical loss, breakage or damage caused by a domestic pet to:

  • the fixtures and fittings of your rented accommodation;
  • Contents provided by your landlord

Pet damage insurance cover can be added to your existing contents policy for just £50 (+ Insurance Premium Tax), providing you up to £5,000 in protection if Mitzy decides she doesn’t like the carpets in your property.

We also work with insurers who provide cover for damage caused by pets to your own contents.

For landlords

While tenants will normally cover the cost of any damage caused by their pets occasionally circumstances arrive where this is not possible. While you may have a deposit to fall back on, adding pet damage to your new or existing landlords policy provides an extra layer of security.

For just £50 (+Insurance Premium Tax) you can add pet damage insurance cover providing you with a safety net of £5,000 worth of damage.

It is important to note that our pet damage policy covers claims made for sudden, unintentional and unexpected physical loss, breakage or damage caused by a domestic pet to the fixtures, fittings and contents provided by the landlords to rented accommodation.

It is not for damage caused by every day wear and tear. For example, if a dog scratches at your door every day this is not covered, while if a pet pulls down curtains that causes damage to a wall this would be covered.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 216399
Make an enquiry Make an enquiry
Make an enquiry
Pet Damage Insurance
Pet Damage Insurance
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.