We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 218000

While we don’t expect you to complete a form for each hire you make, it is very important that all your self-drive hires are appropriately referenced. If you fail to complete adequate hirer/driver checks you may find your insurance is invalid. We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to what you need to do to ensure your clients are adequately referenced.

If you’re not sure about a customer, give us a call, we can guarantee you’ll be talking to helpful specialists from our exclusive self-drive hire insurance team.

What documentation must you obtain?

What must you obtain from your client, prior to the hire commencement?

  • Copy of the photo card drivers’ licence (Address & ID must be up to date)
  • Online licence check – Check someone’s driving licence information. Please note, DVLA licence checks can only be carried out on driving licences issues from mainland UK
  •  Two proof of address from separate sources (Must meet all mentioned criteria below)
  • Cleared a traceable security deposit (BACS, Credit/Debit Card, PayPal, Cheque etc. – amount not specified)
  • Signed rental agreement
  • From 1st August 2021, Green Cards will no longer be mandatory for driving within EU

Additional criteria:

  • Must meet the specified age limits within your policy and have at least 2 years driving experience (Full UK, EU Licence types)
  • Two, 3 point convictions are acceptable (i.e. 2x Sp30’s, 3pts each) without referral. Single convictions totalling 6 points+ will require referral unless otherwise specified below
  • No more than 1 fault or outstanding accident/claim/incident in the last 3 years

Proof of address

You must provide a total of 2 proofs of address from the following: –
1x primary proof of address and 1x secondary proof of address, or 2x primary proof of address

What is acceptable?

Primary Proof of Address

  • Electricity
  • Water
  • Gas
  • Broadband/Landline (Including Sky/Virgin/BT)
  • Council tax
  • TV licence
  • Bank Statement
  • Credit card bill / statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Polling card
  • HMRC self-assessment / tax credit / DWP

Secondary Proof of Address

  • Student loan
  • Shotgun licence
  • Payslip
  • Mobile Phone Bills
  • Pension letters
  • Car Finance Statement
  • Loan Statement
  • Property deed

An annual council tax bill will be accepted. All other documents must be dated within 90 days of the hire date. The address & name on your licence must match both documents.

What is declined?

Any document relating to insurance and any document that does not meet the above mentioned criteria – please contact us if you are unsure. (Further criteria may apply – please review the most recent documentation issued by insurers).

Frequent referencing queries

  • You can find out whether your hirer is eligible to drive in Great Britain by using the Government’s online tool here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence.

    EU licence holders under 70 years of age, living in the UK for longer than 12 months, who meet all the criteria mentioned above will be covered as standard.

    If they have an EU driving license and have been living in the UK for less than 12 months but can supply two proofs, as described above, plus their passport they are covered as standard.

    Anything outside of the above must be referred to the insurers.

  • Yes, you do. Payment (of any amount), via a cleared & traceable method, must be obtained by the primary driver/hirer/renter unless otherwise agreed by the insurers.

  • It depends on the number of points and the number of offences.

    • If your hirers has any ban or disqualification this will need to be referred.
    • If they have 9 points on their license for three x 3 point offences a £500 excess will apply
    • If they have a single 6 point offence (MS90, IN10, CU80, CD and SP offences) this will require a referral
    • Two x 3 point offences or anything less than 6 points are covered as standard.
  • You will need written confirmation from the DVLA confirming the adjustments have been made. This confirmation (usually supplied via email) alongside the client’s proof of address, existing licence and updated DVLA check code will suffice.

    For any expired licences please refer to the most recent Government announcements regarding licence extension, here. Expired licences within the extension are covered as standard.

  • The insurers do not discriminate against medical conditions. So long as the DVLA/Doctor/GP have not imposed any restrictions then you are covered as standard.

Download this guide as a PDF: