We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Important information: We have followed Government advice and closed our branches. However, please be assured that our priority remains providing our clients with support and advice at all times and our teams are on-hand to take your calls or emails.
Contact details for all our employees can be found here.

Payments of insurances: Please note, at this time we are asking that payments be made via our online card payment portal or by bank transfer.  Please avoid sending cheques wherever possible.

Speak directly to our team

01603 649744
Home » Business » Business Insurance » Commercial Motor Insurance » Self Drive Hire Insurance » Motorhome & Campervan Hire Insurance

Motorhome Hire Insurance and campervan rental insurance are essential if you’re hiring out a vehicle. Having the right cover will protect your investment, whether it’s rented or between hires.

Self-drive hire insurance is one of our core specialisms and we can help you find a policy that’s right for your business. Our specialist, UK-based team understands your needs and will put together the best possible cover for you, whether you hire out one classic campervan or a fleet of motorhomes.

  • Exclusive Scheme
  • Competitive premiums
  • Personal service

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

ABG Difference - Non Standard Home

Alan Boswell Group is a self-drive hire insurance specialist. Having arranged business insurance for more than 30 years, we understand the needs of campervan and motorhome owners and have access to a panel of the country’s leading insurers.

As such, we look after self-drive hire clients across the UK. We have a wide range of clients, from businesses with large fleets of vehicles, to small family-run motorhome hire companies and even classic campervan owners hiring out one vehicle. Whatever the size of your business, you’ll get a personal service, from arranging to cover to assisting with claims.

How our customers rate us

Really helpful and patient with my numerous calls and questions. Makes a refreshing change.

Mrs Wilkins - Self-Drive Hire Insurance

Motorhome and Campervan Self-Drive Hire Insurance in detail

Our comprehensive cover sets us apart:

  • Competitive premiums The price will reflect the risks associated with insuring motorhomes and campervans, rather than other self-drive hire vehicles.
  • Discounts available For fleets of motorhomes and campervans and for most multi-vehicle risks.
  • Overhead cabin cover Provided as standard.
  • Fire damage Cover for damage to the motorhome caused by cooking and heating appliances is covered as standard (subject to a 25% co-insurance clause).
  • Theft cover Included as standard (subject to a 25% co-insurance clause)
  • Unlimited hires Maximise the income from your motorhome or campervan by hiring it out as often as possible without being charged more by your insurer.
  • International cover available Allowing your motorhome to be used abroad at sensible rates.
  • Free 'pleasure' use for owners/operators So you can enjoy your vehicle.
  • Full annual cover for motorhomes Vehicles are insured whether out on rental or parked at your premises ("off-hire" cover).
  • Free off-hire cover For up to four named drivers on your policy.


  • Yes. Insurers normally expect an electronic tracking device to be fitted to a motorhome valued in excess of £40,000.

  • We can arrange self-drive hire insurance for all kinds of motorhome, motor caravan and campervan.

  • Insurers generally restrict cover on motor home self-drive hire to those aged between 21 to 75 and those who have held a Full UK or EU licence for two years. As usual, exceptions to these restrictions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

  • A co-insurance clause makes you responsible for a proportion of any loss. For example, a 25% co-insurance clause would mean that you are responsible for a quarter of any loss with the insurer covering the remaining 75%. On self-drive hire insurance policies, a co-insurance clause is always applied to theft-by-hirer cover and for fire damage claims caused by cooking or heating appliances.

  • Excesses start from £500 and applies to all damage claims (including glass breakage).

  • Yes. Some insurers have approved groups you can hire to instantly. In some cases you will need to seek approval from the insurer before you can complete the hire contract.

  • The most important factor in the rating of motorhomes is the value of the vehicle. A midrange motorhome will generally cost less to insure than an A-class motorhome. Full written quotations are available on request.

  • Yes. Some insurers will exclude use at festivals but we can provide this valuable cover.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 649744
Send an enquiry