We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Contents insurance gives you the peace of mind that your belongings are insured against damage, theft, fire, and even loss. You can also extend your cover to include money, valuables, and even the food in your freezer.

The policy can also be enhanced to include accidental damage.

  • Contents insurance with excess from £75
  • Tailored contents cover for students, tenants, or landlords
  • Cover your art and collectable items
  • Optional covers available for money, credit cards, and bicycles

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

personal insurance

Alan Boswell Group recognises that no two homes are the same. We guide you through the different types of insurance you may need for your home and circumstances.

We can provide expert guidance on contents valuations and contents insurance. With access to a wide panel of insurance partners, we can ensure you have the right policy tailored to your individual requirements. Choose from a range of additional add-ons and access the support of our in house claims team should a claim occur.

Contents insurance in detail

Contents insurance covers your possessions in the event of damage, theft, or loss, including natural disasters, flooding, or fires and could include the below cover:

  • Personal belongings Cover for personal belongings while out of home, e.g. jewellery, watches, clothes, electronics etc.
  • New for old cover New products or replacement value in the event of damage or a loss of your personal belongings.
  • Theft from outbuildings Theft coverage from outbuildings.
  • Accidental damage Automatic inclusion of accidental damage to computers, audio, and visual equipment.
  • Contents in garden Cover for items in the garden, e.g. garden furniture, ornaments etc.
  • Food in freezer Cover for contents of the food in your freezer(s).
  • Art and collectables Cover can be provided for your collectable items such as rare books, rugs and tapestries, gold and silver, stamp and coin collections, antique furniture, and more.

Two key exclusions to household insurance policies are wear and tear and pet damage, both of which are generally excluded from all sections.

Contents insurance add-ons

  • Damage caused by pets Our cover can include damage by pets - often excluded in home insurance.
  • Bikes and e-scooters Cover for your bicycles and e-scooters either in the home or left in outbuildings.

Related content insurance

We can help you find the level and type of contents cover most suitable for you. Below are some examples:

Tenants Contents Insurance

Cover for your contents within a rental property. Covers general contents with the option to extend cover to include pedal cycles, electrical, and portable items and money and credit cards.

Read more
Landlord Contents Insurance

Our landlord contents insurance is for the properties you have left fully or part-furnished and provides cover for the furnishings, fixtures and fittings.

Read more
Students Contents Insurance

Cover for your contents within a rental property. Covers general contents with the option to extend cover to include pedal cycles, electrical, and portable items and money and credit cards.

Read more

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 218000
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry


  • Yes, carpets are covered under contents insurance.

  • It’s not a legal requirement to have contents insurance in place as a tenant, but it is highly recommended. Tenants contents insurance will also come with personal liability cover which will cover your legal liability against damage to landlords fixtures and fittings that you are responsible for as a tenant. The level of responsibility would be detailed in your tenancy agreement.

  • Contents insurance will not cover the cost of repairing a leak but it will cover the resultant damage to your contents and personal possessions.

  • Free standing washing machines will be covered under a contents policy. Any built in appliances will be covered under a buildings insurance policy.

  • Yes, but the policy may come with some theft restrictions.

  • Contents insurance would cover a mobile phone while it is in the home. Personal possessions cover would be required if you wish to insure your phone when it is out of the home.

  • This wouldn’t always be needed but proof of purchase can be helpful in some circumstances.

  • Infestation would not be covered under a contents policy. This is likely to be covered under a home emergency policy.

  • Yes, any contents that are damaged or stolen in a burglary can be claimed for under a contents insurance policy.

  • It is not a legal requirement but is highly recommended. Much like a tenants contents insurance policy, contents insurance for students comes with personal liability cover.

Guides and insights

A guide to home insurance extras
A guide to home insurance extras

A guide to popular home insurance extras and whether optional insurance features are right for you and worth the extra expense.

Read more
buildings insurance for renovations
A guide to buildings insurance for renovations

A complete guide to making sure you have the right buildings insurance for renovations or extensions.

Read more
Moving House Insurance
A guide to moving house insurance

We speak to Darren Eadie, former professional footballer and owner of specialist relocations company, Elite Fortress, to find out more about why you should you use a removals company for your home move and what the insurance implications are.

Read more
Landlord's guide to building insurance
Guide to Building insurance

All property owners should have building insurance, but it is important to understand exactly what is covered under this policy. In this guide we’ll explain what building insurance covers and answer some of the most common questions.

Read more
Guide to children's pensions
Guide to children's pensions

Children’s pensions enable parents, grandparents, and guardians to contribute towards the financial security of the next generation. Here’s how a child’s pension works, the pros and cons, and how much it could be worth.

Read more
Escape of water
Guide to escape of water

What is escape of water? Why does it occur and how can you minimise the risk? In this article we explore all you need to know about escape of water.

Read more
Is buy-to-let worth it?
Is buy-to-let worth it?

Buy-to-let landlords: what are the risks and rewards of buying a rental property? If you are thinking of becoming a landlord, make sure you know what’s expected of you and how to make the most of your investment.

Read more
Landlord insurance or home insurance
Landlord insurance vs home insurance

If you have tenants, it’s important that you take out the right protection – because a standard home insurance policy won’t be suitable.

Read more