We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Motorhome Insurance

Talk to us for a comprehensive motorhome insurance policy

Send an Enquiry
  • Social, domestic and private use
  • Competitive premiums
  • UK-based claims service
  • Social, domestic and private use
  • Competitive premiums
  • UK-based claims service
Platinum Trusted Service Award - Rectangle

Motorhome insurance provides vital protection for your pride and joy. It allows you to enjoy life on the open road, safe in the knowledge you’re covered for every eventuality.

  • Social, domestic and private use
  • Fully comprehensive, third-party fire and theft and third-party-only policies available
  • Competitive premiums
  • UK-based claims service

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

ABG difference Motorhome insurance

As Motorhome insurance brokers we’ve been arranging insurance cover for businesses for more than 30 years and have access to a panel of the country’s leading insurers.

Our dedicated team looks motorhome clients from across the UK; everything fleets of commercial hire vans, to small family-run motorhome hires, from storage companies who also offer their customers a hire van, to splitter vans taking bands on tour. We help you with any claims, supporting you through the process. We’ve also put together a range of useful guides, articles and tips for motorhome and campervan owners in our knowledge hub.

How our customers rate us

First class, nice to speak to someone.

Mr Roberts

Motorhome Insurance in detail

What is motorhome insurance?

Motorhome insurance is a type of vehicle insurance specifically designed for motorhomes and campers. They can cover a range of events more specific to claims for these types of vehicles including:

  • Extended European travel;
  • Theft;
  • Windscreen repair;
  • Cover for personal belongings;
  • Damage to anything above head height.

The specifics of your policy will depend on the level of cover you choose. There are three levels to choose from:

  • Third party only – this is the minimum level of cover you can have by law. It compensates other people for injury or damage you cause. This level of cover won’t cover damage to your own campervan or motorhome.
  • Third party, fire and theft – includes the same cover as third party only and will also compensate you if your camper or motorhome is stolen or damaged by fire.
  • Comprehensive – includes third party, fire and theft and will also cover costs if your vehicle is damaged in an accident regardless of who is at fault. If you are going to be leasing your vehicle out you will need self-drive hire insurance, which is always fully comprehensive to ensure both your asset, and the user, are protected.

Do I need motorhome insurance?

Yes, you must have appropriate insurance by law. If you don’t have a policy in place, you can be fined and given up to six penalty points. If you’re taken to court, you could even be disqualified from driving. The only time you are not required to insure your motorhome is by officially declaring the motorhome to be off the road. To do this you must contact the DVLA and apply for a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN). When you need to make a SORN – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).

Cover varies according to the type of motorhome insurance you buy. The details below are part of a fully comprehensive motorhome policy, but may vary for third-party, fire and theft and third-party-only policies.

  • Accidental/malicious damage cover Cover for repairs by an approved repairer.
  • Theft from vehicle Cover for communications, entertainment, and navigation equipment.
  • Damage caused by theft or attempted theft Cover for damage caused as a result of theft.
  • Fire damage Covers fire damage (unless caused by cooking or heating food and drink).
  • Third-party while towing Up to £5m limit for damage to third parties.
  • Glass and windscreen Including panoramic roofs, sunroofs, and folding rear windscreens.
  • Replacement locks If your keys fall into the wrong hands and there's a risk of theft.
  • New vehicle cover A replacement vehicle for your motorhome if it's under 12-months-old, has under 15,000 miles, and is stolen or beyond repair.
  • Personal belongings Up to £100 limit for belongings within the motorhome.
  • Personal accident Up to £5,000 for the death of you, your spouse, or civil partner in the event of an accident. Up to £2,000 for loss of limbs and £2,000 for complete or permanent loss of sight.
  • European travel Cover for up to 30 days' travel within the EU per year. Insurer must be informed in advance of travel.
  • Courtesy vehicle A courtesy vehicle if your vehicle is being repaired following a claim (subject to availability).

What are the optional extras for motorhome insurance?

The range of optional extras available will depend on the insurer but could include features such as:

  • Legal expenses cover Our motor legal expenses from ALPS (Auto Legal Protection Services) will cover up to £100,00 for £30 and will include any adviser costs if you have an accident. This will mainly be for uninsured drivers or personal injury if you think that this was caused by the third parties' negligence.
  • Key care Our key care cover will provide yourself, any named drivers, and any immediate member of your family, cover for the motorhome’s keys which have been lost, stolen, or broken. This will be up to £1,500 of cover for any keys, new locks and locksmith charges if there is a security risk and you need to change the locks. This is all covered for just £15 and provided by Coplus.
  • Excess protection We can cover your excess as an optional extra. We have a sliding scale between £300 and £2000 of cover with prices starting as low as £35. This will mean if you do have a claim, you will have to pay the excess initially but this can then be claimed back from ALPS (Auto Legal Protection Services).
  • Call Assist breakdown and recovery services We have Call Assist vehicle breakdown cover available as an optional extra, this will cover roadside assistance, onward travel, or overnight accommodation and also recovery of the motorhome/campervan to your preferred destination. We can offer both UK only cover at £195 and UK & EU cover for £275.

Please keep in mind that you won’t receive a replacement motorhome, it will just be a small hatchback since they don’t have a fleet of courtesy motorhomes to send out.

Motorhome insurance FAQs

  • Campervans are generally classified as a self-contained travelling home, typically based around an existing panel-van body with no separation between driver and living space, they tend to be smaller and simpler so designed for shorter stays. Inside you will find basic facilities for cooking, washing, and sleeping. The DVLA now require certain criteria to be met before arranging for a vehicle to be re-classified as a camper including:

    • Motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle;
    • An awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle; and
    • A high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)

    The definitive list can be found here Converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motor home) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

    While their smaller size can be a disadvantage it does make them easier to manoeuvre and park.

    Motorhomes are often built on a van chassis and designed to serve as self-contained living quarters for recreational travel and to be used as a purpose-built home-from-home. There is normally a divide between the cab and the living quarters behind, which contain sleeping space and kitchen facilities. The main differences are that motorhomes tend to be larger than campers, contain more on-board facilities such as a well-equipped kitchen area and a shower or washroom while being designed for you to be able to live in it comfortably. While their size offers comfort they can be cumbersome to drive, especially if you’re driving along narrow country lanes or in heavily built-up areas.

    Find out more in our guide to the differences between a campervan and motorhome.

  • Some motorhome insurance policies come with age restrictions, but these will vary according to the insurer’s own terms and conditions. In many instances, policies are limited to those over 21 and under 79.

    If a policy doesn’t come with age restrictions, you may find they come with an additional young driver excess so don’t forget to factor this in when you compare policies.

  • Yes, you can still drive a motorhome if you’re over 70 but it will depend on the type of motorhome you want to drive and the type of licence you have. When you reach age 70 you’ll need to renew your driving licence, but it won’t automatically include an entitlement to drive larger vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes (the C1 category on your licence).

    If you don’t intend to drive a large motorhome then your renewed licence will still allow you to drive one up to 3.5 tonnes (which will include most recently built motorhomes in the UK).

    To be able to drive a C1 category motorhome you will need to include a medical form from your GP when renewing your license with the DVLA.

  • To insure your vehicle, you require the correct licence so you can drive it. If you only want to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes then you don’t need any additional licence requirements, a regular driving licence that covers categories B and B1 will cover you for these vehicles. In accordance with the DVLA webpage: Driving a motorhome – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)  if the motorhome you are driving has a maximum authorized mass (MAM) of 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes you must have either a category C1 license or have obtained your UK driving licence prior to 1997.

    If the motorhome has a MAM higher than 7.5 tonnes you must have a C license.

    You can upgrade your existing licence by taking and passing an additional test.

    If you can gather the following information, then you can use the GOV.UK website to see what licence categories you have and the vehicles you are eligible to drive:

    You’ll need three things:

    1. Your Driving Licence Number
    2. Your National Insurance Number. If you don’t know it then click the following link to find a lost NI No. Find a lost NI number.
    3. The postcode on your driving licence
  • No, you cannot drive a motorhome using a car insurance policy. You must have appropriate insurance for the vehicle you’re driving. This is because the policy you have must reflect the risks faced by the vehicle. For example, because motorhomes are bigger than the average car, they can potentially cause considerable damage which will cost more to cover.

  • Anyone can drive a motorhome as long as they have a full UK driving licence which carries the relevant classification for the vehicle you wish to drive.  The type of motorhome you can drive will depend on its weight and the type of licence you have.

  • Only named drivers who appear on your policy documentation can drive your motorhome. If you want someone else to drive your motorhome, they can be added to the policy.

  • Third party only is the minimum level of cover you can have by law, but this won’t cover claims for damage to your own motorhome in the event of an accident.

    You’ll also need to check that the sum insured listed on your policy is enough to cover the cost of replacing your motorhome if it’s written off.

  • If you use your motorhome regularly, you can gauge your mileage based on previous years. If you can, it’s best to be as accurate as possible as overestimating can raise your risk profile and increase your premium.

    If you’ve just bought your motorhome, consider how you’ll be using it. Take into account any day-to-day activities along with trips and holidays you have planned. You can then estimate the number of miles you might cover. If you realise you’ve undercalculated by a considerable amount, just let your insurer know and they should be able to adjust your policy.

  • Yes. This policy will provide cover if you want to take your vehicle to countries within the European Union, but you must let the insurer know before you travel.

Get in touch

Speak directly to our team
01603 649744
Get in touch Get in touch
Get in touch
Will Hutchings
Will Hutchings

Insurance Adviser

Will has worked in the motor insurance industry for 7 years, specialising in Self Drive Hire for the last 3 years. Within the team he…

Tom Rayner
Tom Rayner

Insurance Adviser

Tom has worked in the insurance industry since 2019, first with Adrian Flux before moving to Alan Boswell Group in 2021. He initially joined to…