We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Speak directly to our team

01603 216387

As a commercial property owner, you will need an insurance policy to cover your commercial buildings. If you own shops, offices, a home run business, a surgery, hotels, leisure complex or run a registered business as a professional landlord you will need commercial property insurance.

The insurance requirements for commercial properties are picked up by the owner of the commercial property. There are significant differences between how residential and commercial property insurance is arranged, and it is essential that you have expert advice when purchasing your insurance cover for these busy premises. You will need a different insurance policy if your own an unoccupied commercial property.

Benefits of commercial property insurance are:

  • Insurance for different commercial buildings as shops, restaurants, factories, hotels etc
  • Tailored insurance products
  • Competitively priced
  • Option to combine residential and commercial properties

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

Commercial Property Insurance

Investment in commercial property is a serious business – protecting your investment is equally serious and requires an insurance broker who understands your needs and knows what issues you may face. Whether you require cover for commercial, mixed-use or unoccupied property our property experts are on hand to discuss your insurance needs. With more than 25 years’ experience in the Commercial Property Sector, our dedicated team are perfectly placed to swiftly deliver your Commercial Property Insurance needs.

How our customers rate us

Friendly efficient service easy to do business with.

Mr & Mrs Ireland - Property Owners Insurance

Property Owners Insurance in detail

We offer a range of policies with various levels of cover, including:

  • Property Insurance A wide definition of buildings that can extend to include common areas, landscaping, solar panels, wind turbines and domestic white goods. Numerous extensions included as standard and tailored to the property industries.
  • Business Interruption Cover for loss of rent following property damage, as well as for the cost of alternative accommodation for residential units within your portfolio. There is a variety of extensions to supplement core covers.
  • Property Owners Liability Protects your legal liabilities towards third parties e.g. slip, trip or fall whilst on property.
  • Engineering Damage This policy can provide cover to surrounding property if any machinery or plant causes damage. We can also offer specific policy enhancements, such as working or repair investigation costs, to ensure you're well insured.
  • Property Owners Liability up to £10million Protects your legal liabilities towards third parties e.g. slip, trip or fall or other injury whilst on the property.

Optional extras 

  • Legal Expenses including commercial property disputes Protection in the event of a legal dispute with your Tenant. This includes a dispute over maintenance of your property, repossessing your property and recovering outstanding rent due to you.
  • Contents and fixtures and fittings If you have provided contents to your tenant or, have fitted the building yourself to suit their specific trade.
  • Subsidence fees and costs in relation to subsidence, ground heave or landslip
  • Terrorism Insurance protection against the potential exposure of a terrorist attack
  • Employers Liability If you employ someone to carry out work at your property you will need protection in the event of injury.

If you are a property owner and you have a change of tenant or processes undertaken within the property you will need to inform your insurance provider. Failure to do this could invalidate any claim.

It is important to make your insurance provider aware if there will be any periods of unoccupancy to ensure the property is covered correctly whilst unoccupied. Again failure to inform your insurance provider could invalidate your insurance.


  • There is no legal requirement to do so, but any companies providing finance for you may have this as a condition of the finance.

  • Yes if your business owns the property and you operate from there. If you are solely a landlord then you will require property owners insurance. If you are the tenant you would not have an insurable interest and would not usually be able to insure the building unless you have been made responsible to do so under conditions of the lease.

  • Yes we can provide this service.

  • Yes this is no problem, our experts will understand your risk and advise on suitable products for your needs.

  • Yes, although the applicable excesses will vary from policy to policy. In some instances it is possible to increase your excess to obtain a premium discount.

Get in touch

Talk to our commercial property team
01603 216387
Request a callback
Callback Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • If applicable
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Send an enquiry
Business Insurance Enquiry
  • Contact Details

  • Enquiry Details

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Zoe Kerswill
Zoe Kerswill

Account Executive - Commercial Clients

Zoe’s first job, when she was just 16, was for Co-op Insurance. A year later she moved to the world of insurance broking. She is…

Ben Howes
Ben Howes

Account Executive - Commercial

Before joining the Alan Boswell Group, Ben Howes worked for NFU Mutual. He worked his way up to being in the New Business team tasked…

Jon Preston

Account Executive - Commercial Clients

Jon has been working in the insurance industry for over twenty five years. Starting with Aviva Insurance in 1991 in an accounts role Jon also…