We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Landlords Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord Building Insurance

Get a quote online or call to speak to one of our insurance experts.

Start Your Quote
  • Add rent guarantee
  • Add contents insurance
  • Add legal expenses and more
  • Add rent guarantee
  • Add contents insurance
  • Add legal expenses and more
Landlord insurance award 2023
Platinum Trusted Service Award - Rectangle

Landlord building insurance covers against events such as flooding, subsidence, and fire. If you’re renting out a furnished property, it’s worth considering adding a contents insurance policy if you provide furniture for your tenants.

Compare landlords insurance quotes online or give us a call and one of our property insurance specialists will search the market to find the best level of cover for you.

The Alan Boswell Group Difference

landlord building insurance

Alan Boswell Group is one of the country’s leading suppliers of  landlord building insurance. Having worked with landlords for more than 40 years, we understand the buy-to-let sector and the challenges landlords face. Our experience and credibility within the industry means that we have been able to develop unique propositions, harnessing our buying power and expertise. It’s from this standing that we are able to deliver first-class independent advice, tailoring insurance products to your individual circumstances.

Our landlord advice hub is full of useful information to help landlords and property owners find the advice and products needed.

How our customers rate us

An amazing experience to have a helpful, polite, and knowledgeable member of staff to assist me.
I felt very happy and secure with my insurance purchase and won’t bother to ever go to a comparison site again!

Mrs Hill - Landlord Insurance

Our NIG landlord insurance policy is a Which? Best Buy.

We take great pride in being recognised for our dedication to providing the best service and comprehensive, tailored cover for our customers’ needs. If you are unsure of the type of cover you need, our expert advisers are available to help over the phone.

Speak directly to a specialist
01603 216399
Get a quote Get a quote
Get a quote
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry

Landlord building insurance cost

How much does landlord building insurance cost?

You could pay as little as £118 for landlord building insurance or £10.52 per month if you choose to pay by direct debit. The precise cost of your policy will depend on a number of factors including the type of construction and size of the property, but last year 10% of our customers paid £118 or less (Jan 22 – Aug 22). Our landlords insurance statistics page shows a range of average prices customer might expect to pay.

Get a quote

Landlord Building Insurance in detail

Landlord building insurance policies contain a range of covers, including:

  • Buildings Cover for rebuild or repair of your building following an insured event e.g. flood or fire.
  • Loss of rent Loss of rent cover following your rental property becoming uninhabitable after an insured event OR alternative accommodation costs for your tenants due to your property becoming uninhabitable after an insured event e.g. flood, fire etc.
  • Property owners' liability Protection against legal liability for personal injury or property damage suffered by third parties (including tenants) at your rental property.
  • Employers' liability Employers' liability cover for cleaners, gardeners, caretakers, and persons doing minor maintenance and repairs at your insured property.
  • Unoccupied property cover Full cover for up to 90 days unoccupancy, e.g. between tenancies or while up for sale.
  • Malicious damage by tenants Cover for malicious damage caused by your tenants to your property as standard.

When comparing policies make sure you compare on a like-for-like basis. Many companies claiming to offer cheap insurance will do so by limiting cover and increasing excesses.

Most insurance policies will have terms and conditions requiring you to have an Assured Short Term Tenancy Agreement (AST) in place, regardless of whether you are letting to your friends, family, or strangers.

Five properties or more?

If you have five properties or more you will need specialist landlord insurance for multiple properties.

What is the best landlord insurance?

The features that make the best landlord insurance are subjective, so it’s up to you to decide which best suits your needs.

Some people prefer to talk to an expert and be walked through the product and its cover features, others prefer to only buy online. We offer both as we believe our customers should have the option to talk to us about the policy after they obtained a quote. You can read what others customer say about our services on our landlord insurance reviews.

Our landlord product includes coverage that other insurance companies charge extra for or don’t offer at all, we’ve also won a few landlord insurance awards. However, the best thing to do is compare our landlord insurance with various other providers.

You can also read our reviews on Trustpilot and Feefo and, if you are a member, on Which.co.uk.


  • The price of your landlord building insurance is affected by a variety of factors. As an independent landlord insurance broker we are not tied to any insurer, so we can find the best, high-quality cover for your needs.

  • Building insurance for buy-to-let properties covers the cost to rebuild or repair your building after an event e.g. flood or fire.

    All our building insurance policies also include at least £5,000 for your fixtures, fittings, and white goods; £10m employers’ liability; accidental damage; loss of rent and £5m property owners’ liability.

  • Yes, you can increase your excess to obtain a discount.

  • Yes, you can add and remove properties throughout the year. Our insurance experts will take the time to understand your future plans and advise on the best products to fit your situation.

  • While we recommend tenant referencing, it is not a requirement of our landlord buildings and contents insurance products. However, if you want to buy rent guarantee and landlord legal expenses alongside your landlord insurance, you will need to reference your tenants.

  • Premiums can go up and down and there are many factors that will affect this. As we are independent we are not tied to any insurance provider and will ensure you have the best value and quality products at each renewal.

  • Landlord insurance is not a legal requirement, however there are circumstances where you will be required to have it. Firstly, it maybe a prerequisite of a mortgage offer that you hold valid landlord insurance for the length of your mortgage. Secondly, if you directly employ a cleaner or handyman for your property or portfolio then you may require employers’ liability. Our insurance experts will take the time to understand your circumstances and advise you of your legal obligations.

  • Yes, students and tenants on housing benefits can be accepted on to your insurance policy.

  • Yes, conservatories are covered as they are part of the building.

  • The roof is considered part of the fabric of the building, so it is covered by your building insurance.

  • No, rising damp is not covered by any insurance policies. Read about rising damp in more detail.

Get in touch

Speak directly to a specialist
01603 216399
Get a quote Get a quote
Get a quote
Send an enquiry Send an enquiry
Send an enquiry