We use cookies to give you the best experience and help us improve our website.

Find out more about how we use cookies.

Latest News Things to consider before hiring out your campervan
Return to Motorhome and Campervan Advice articles

Things to consider before hiring out your campervan

Campervan hire

Although campervans and motorhomes are an expensive investment, both in terms of the initial cost and maintenance, we know most owners don’t use them all-year-round. That’s why it makes sense to hire them out to other drivers when we’re not using them. We’ve put together a helpful guide for people who are thinking about hiring out a motorhome or campervan.

Hiring out a  motorhome or campervan is great idea and can help to cover your costs while allowing others the chance to experience the excitement and freedom that a campervan holiday can provide. However, certain considerations should be kept in mind before its you let someone rent our your pride and joy  – such as the insurance to rent our your campervan or motorhome.

Do you have appropriate campervan hire insurance?

The first thing to look at is whether you have the appropriate insurance cover. Even if you’re hiring out your campervan to good friends or family members on an informal basis, you still need to have comprehensive insurance, as if you were a professional company providing campervan hire. Such insurance is often referred to as self-drive hire insurance.

Alan Boswell Group specialises in insurance for motorhomes and campervans and can provide you with a full package of cover at best-value rates. Our annual cover allows you and other specified drivers to use the vehicle alongside an unlimited number of hires by members of the public.

Is the vehicle safe?

You need to be certain that the vehicle is safe to drive before hiring it out. With campervans and motorhomes, you also need to be sure that it’s safe to live in. Because mobile homes include cooking and heating equipment, there is an extra risk of fire. Alan Boswell Group’s campervan hire insurance includes, as standard, fire damage cover caused by cooking and heating equipment, but of course, every preventative measure should also be taken.

Is it being taken abroad?

It’s important to be aware of foreign laws and regulations when a vehicle is taken abroad in order to ensure that it complies with requirements. You also need to make sure your insurance is still valid outside the UK. Alan Boswell Group’s campervan hire insurance includes EU cover as standard, but other international cover is available if the vehicle is going further afield. Read more about safeguarding your vehicle overseas.

Is your campervan secure?

Make sure your campervan is adequately protected against the risk of theft or being broken into. Our insurance package includes cover for theft by hirer, but motorhomes or campervans worth more than £40,000 should be fitted with an electronic tracking device.

Don’t let the above put you off hiring out your campervan when you’re not using it. It’s a great idea so long as you take sensible precautions and Alan Boswell Group is here to make it easier for you every step of the way.

You may also be interested in: Hiring out your campervan? Be aware of these people and Hiring out your motorhome: keeping your keys safe

If you are still unsure about hiring out your motorhome or campervan our owners guide will provided you details on what involved when renting out your motorhome

Related products: Business Insurance Horsebox Hire Insurance Splitter Van Insurance Motorhome and Campervan Hire Insurance Self-Drive Hire Insurance Self-Drive Hire FAQs Self-Drive Hire – Driver referencing